Our Mission Statement:
Mission: The mission of Underwood School is to build a foundation of excellence for independent, confident, and lifetime learners by providing a safe and positive environment in which to learn through the involvement of the community, parents, students, and faculty.
History of Underwood Elementary School
Underwood Elementary School has served the Underwood and Petersville communities for nearly a century. The school originated in a one-room log building on the William Underwood farm in the late 1800's. Later a frame school was erected about one mile from the log building. Located on Cloverdale Road, this remains the present-day site of Underwood Elementary School.
The main brick building was constructed in 1941; the lunchroom, in 1948; and the gymnasium annex in 1961. Since the 1960's, the Florence city limits have extended into and beyond the Underwood and Petersville communities, but Underwood School has remained a part of the Lauderdale County School System.